minimal distribution - maximum sound??

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Sun Dec 19 14:25:26 GMT 2010

Am 17.12.2010 21:16, schrieb Mike Holstein:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:18 PM, kirko birilli<whyshenwhy at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> hi there,
>>
>> i would like to know if somebody got experience with running audio apps on
>> a small as possible distro tailor made for your own machines.i install
>> usually the whole lot and then just try to get things done.a friend of mine
>> uses his old laptop as kind of tekkno instrument.he got his sounds together
>> with pure data and uses the keyboard as kind of piano.he still got windoze
>> xp on it and i wonder if that doesn´t eat lots of power he could better use
>> for audio tasks.
>> so what are you doing to get the maximum out of your machines and is it
>> possible just to get a minimal install something like tiny core with 10mb
>> and add the rest after?

This might be a good idea but do not be fooled by things visible. It is
an illusion to believe, that changing from KDE or GNOME to LXDE or
Fluxbox will help a lot. It *can* save RAM but CPU-load and much more
important: unwanted interruptions of jack will be reduced greatly by
just changing the DE.
There are background-things like udev or network-manager, that produce a
much bigger burden and they can run also if Fluxbox is up.

I dare to say: if you set up your system really carfully (rt-kernel,
udev-rules, limits etc) you get better performance with a stripped-down
KDE than someone who believes, just installing Lubuntu will do the trick.

>> i have got loads of old laptops around and would like to get them
>> swinging.any suggestions?
>> cheers
>> shen
>>
>> there is a really cool light-weight distro that i think you might want to
> look at for learning purposes.. http://dynebolic.org/ ...

Dynebolic really made the grade for me on older hardware (running
Zynaddsubfx on a PII-Notebook with 128MB RAM...)

But it never was a real-world-distro it even lacks a package-management.

The smalles audio-distro I ever tested was bardix. It was Gentoo-based
and came as a live-image about 100MB. The performance though, was not so
much better than pure:dyne and it was grotesqly spartanic.