off and on sound problem

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 14 03:38:33 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 22:30 -0500, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> On 12/13/2010 09:59 PM, Douglas Pollard wrote:

> >> On an Ubuntu forum on German, regarding to codec Via VT1708 someone
> >> solved this by installing
> >> http://packages.ubuntu.com/de/lucid/linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic
> >>
> >> To know what kernel you are running run
> >>
> >> uname -r
> >>
> >> or better
> >>
> >> uname -a
> >>

> > Here is the kernal output from the terminal     Doug
> >
> > Linux ubuntu 2.6.32-27-preempt #49-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 2 03:21:34
> > UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >

> I just played some music with VLC and it played well for about 5 minuets
> and then i got th message that the connection failed.  that sounds like
> a hardware problem?      Doug

:(

linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic

I did ignore the word 'generic' for this package.

It seems to be able to solve your issue for a default, resp. upgraded
default kernel.

Hm?

Perhaps you should get a low cost PCI card, that anyway would be better
for audio, but your card. I e.g. bought a TerraTec EWX 24/96 PCI card at
Ebay for less, but 30,- EUR. Compared to professional studio equipment
the bass sounds muddy, compared to a crappy on-board device as yours, it
not only does sound amazing good, but also ships with very good latency,
when used as a duplex device and btw. the PCI MPU MIDInterface will
cause less MIDI jitter, but other solutions.

2 cents,

Ralf