off and on sound problem

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 14 01:22:00 GMT 2010

I am using Ubuntu studio 10.04.   I get sound for a while after start up
but then loose it. I typed pavucontrol into the terminal. The volume
control panel comes up and I get an error message ( connection failed:
connection terminated).  The little speaker thingies in the Volume
control are showing and X as if muted. If I restart I have sound for a
while but then loose it.  If I play VLC media player sound stops and
starts and beaks up and after a while it shuts down altogether. I would
appreciate any help with this.  Thanks  Doug