How to get ubuntu studio from an ubuntu standard

Eric Hedekar afterthebeep at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 21:33:43 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Scott Lavender <scottalavender at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Kenneth Koym <koymkg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ScottL, your statement boggles my mind. Could you rewrite it so it says
>> what you mean to say. You ask the recipient to be careful --- okay. You talk
>> about a real-time kernel and an older kernel. Then you say, "However,,, "
>> What do you mean ScottL. Say it without all the extras!
>>  Kenneth
>>

> Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio include the 2.6.35 kernel in a default
> installation in lucid (10.04).
>
> A real-time 2.6.35 kernel is not available in any of the official
> repositories in Ubuntu.
>
> The linked documentation to upgrade to Ubuntu Studio suggests installing
> the linux-rt package.
>
> The linux-rt pacakge for lucid (10.04) is a 2.6.31kernel with real-time
> preemption.  Note that this is an older kernel version.
>

> Therefore, if Aradnix complied absolutely with the documentation's
> suggestions he would experience a regression in kernel version.
>
> Real-time preemption would be gained but the older kernel version (2.6.31)
> may not include some particular hardware driver that was included in the
> default installed kernel (2.6.35) included with Lucid.  This may or may not
> be a problem depending on his hardware.

Just a quick technicality correction Scott, Lucid 10.04 ships with the
2.6.32 kernel, not the 2.6.35.  The facts you state are true of the 2.6.32
(no RT patch, etc...).

It should also be noted that the audio portion of Ubuntu Studio 10.04
includes the new PREEMPT kernel flavour of 2.6.32 which I've found to be
suitable for audio work.

-Eric