Trying to install lucid beta on a SCSI box, plus need to get GSM/3Gmodem dialup...

Bob Hamil bobhamil at racc2000.com
Sat Apr 3 01:52:32 BST 2010

Thomas,
I have gotten my moto rokrz6m? connecting to the
internet in Ubuntu and mint with the script from
http://sakis.tel4u.gr/blog/sakis3g/
and you may need 9menu installed
But right now things only connect at analog speeds,
but I think this is specific to my phone or provider
as it also is on winXP.
Not to hijack the thread,
This is becoming a showstopper for me, as soon I will
need the faster speeds for an annual project in July,
but calls to Alltel-now-Verizon seem thoroughly
explored by them, but they say there is nothing
wrong!!!
Google searches haven't found any info about how to
track this further.
Any help would be much appreciated.

I hope others can help you with the other issues.

Bob Hamil

In an attempt to lessen the scare factor of Linux I
tried to install ubuntu studio on a machine that so
far uses a rather custom Source Mage system. The
setup consists of a Athlon64 X2 (really using 64 bit
OS, too) on some Asrock mainboard (I don't like that
one, really) with integrated graphics, PCIe Firewire
card, Adaptec U160 SCSI controller with 3 10K rpm drives.
Oh, and there's a IDE DVD-RW and SATA DVD-ROM, too.

There is also a USB card reader built in which seems
to have higher priority for the ubuntu kernel, so the
first disk is /dev/sdf . In my custom system I have
the SCSI driver built in and it's sda as it should be.

The Audio interface is an Edirol FA-101, but I'm not
yet at evaluating usage of that. My first experience
with the ubuntu studio 10.4 beta (9.10 simply is too
old -- I'd have to immediately recompile a fresher
ardour2) can be summarized as follows:

1. Install goes fine, just except that it fails to
install the boot manager.
Both grub and lilo fail, without explanation. I
really miss some error messages there... I have
stored install logs (there in the box, not here with
me now) but a glimpse in there also didn't show anything.
For now I assume that there is some confusion because
of the unusual setup of /dev/sdX actually being SCSI:-/
I managed to restore my old boot manager (after some
fighting because of the mismatch of disk order
between the kernels... lilo doesn't like the disk
order differing between system to boot and the rescue
system where lilo is installed from)... and was able
to add an entry for ubuntu studio to it.

2. The boot attempts fail for default parameters.
Because I have SCSI.
I remember that from earlier times while building the
studio system: I ruled out ubuntu because of this
bug: The boot drops to busybox, complaining that the
root device is not there -- but when you look in the
shell, it is there immediately.
This is fixed by an annoyingly huge rootdelay
parameter (like, 90 seconds). I am disappointed that
this still prevails... and it's the same old
workaround. This worked with older systems -- also
with initrds!
Well... after fixing up boot parameters... I was able
to get into the system.

3. Next problem: I need internet. Ubuntu doesn't
really fly without internet, right?
I was surprised not to find the network manager (or
wicd, whatever) happily waiting for me to
automagically get my network fun -- this is ubuntu,
after all. I have been told that this is by intention
since network manager had bad interaction with the
realtime kernel. But I also have been told that this
might not be an actual problem today.
I tried to install the network manager via
synaptic... selecting the DVD as package source (as
the .debs indeed are present there), but synaptic
keeps complaining... and wants to remove the language
support package all the time -- I suppose it could be
fixed with missing components once I have internet
connection ...
Anyhow, I managed to install some packages... the
manager, the gnome applet.. providerdata. I was even
able to configure the 3G dialup connection with
proper provider etc, but: The manager applet doesn't
not recognize my modem (huawei e160)
The kernel has the correct driver loaded,
/dev/ttyUSB* exist, but network manager doesn't see it?
I guess I could get it running using the custom
script and wvdial ... what I do on the custom Source
Mage install... but since this is ubuntu -- how am I
supposed to get the 3G dialup working?

4. Whatever the plymouth daemon does... I've seen
notification of it crashing. I hope it's nothing vital.

Well, that's it for now... The boot manager install
would be a showstopper for the average creative
people... I might try to reproduce that on another
test system with a similar SCSI controller, but my
time for experiments on the studio box is limited.
There I would prefer to get the system into a
workable state ASAP. I hope I don't upset anyone with
the focus on flames here... I'll wait with praise for
ubuntu studio until I actually got a working setup;-)
This is a beta release anyway, so I hope the main
problems can be helped.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: