[OT] Assembling an station for video edition

Neil Jensen neilevanjensen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 09:06:54 BST 2010

On Wednesday 31 March 2010 02:26:29 pm Aradenatorix Veckhom Vacelaevus wrote:
> Well, in fact we can't wait soooooo long. The prices here aren't so
> expensive, a good MoBo can cost US$25, a MoBO more expensivbe like one of
> those you say only can be acquired by importation. I was searching options
> in Asus and Gigabyte, I choosed an Asus M4A79T DeLuxe, but I'm not sure,
> maybe I could find something better and of course not so expensive.
>

> By the way Neil, could you bring me a page where to read more about that HT
> tecnhology please.
>

> Thanks:
> Aradnix

Aradnix

I Yi Yi!  I forgot how confusing all of this stuff is.  I am really interested
in it all, but I don't know if I'll ever fully wrap my head around it.  I have
taken some notes and left some links for you to peruse.  I hope this helps
somewhat.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103688  This cpu has
a HT(hypertransport) power of 4000mHz

The fastest current motherboards only have a FSB speed of 2600mHz

What you should be looking for in a motherboard to get the optimal processing
power for your cpu is

The fastest FSB you can get.  HT 3.1 technology currently does not support
anything more than 2600mHz...future will be more...

You also want the fastest ram standard available

The current fastest RAM available supports information storage transfer up to
52.8 Gb/s(bi-directional)

Fastest HT Motherboard: 2600Mhz/s or 41.6Gb/s
Your Phenom ll CPU HT: 4000Mhz/s
PC3-17600 DDR3-SDRAM (triple channel 192-bit): 2200Mhz/s / channel or 52.8Gb/s

HT3.1 is the current (FSB) bus technology which maxes out at 25.6 Gb/s of
information through the north and south bridge of your board in any one
direction to all the various devices.  So you can put through that much
information and receive that much information back at the same time.
List of Device Bandwidths

"HyperTransport supports an auto-negotiated bit width, ranging from two- to
32-link interconnects. The full-width, full bandwidth, 32-bit interconnect has
a transfer rate of 25.6 GB/s (3.2 GHz/link * 2 bits/Hz * 32 links * 1 Byte / 8
bits) per direction, or 51.2 GB/s aggregated bandwidth per link, making it
faster than any existing bus standard for PC workstations and servers"
HyperTransport Wiki

Great Overclocking Instructional

Neil