Fa-66 firewire.

beejunk at gmail.com beejunk at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 05:23:15 BST 2009

On Sep 11, 2009 8:34pm, Robert Klaar <nim.batu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there.

> Yesterday I got my edirol fa-66 delivered, now, how do I get it to work?,
> I choosed freebob as driver in jack, but when I try to start it, it won't
> with this message;

> 03:29:46.449 JACK is starting...
> 03:29:46.450 /usr/bin/jackd -dfreebob -dhw:0 -r96000 -p128 -n3 -D
> 03:29:46.457 JACK was started with PID=14014.
> no message buffer overruns
> jackd 0.116.1
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.

> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.

> Freebob using Firewire port 0, node -1
> Ieee1394Service::initialize: Could not get 1394 handle: Permission denied
> Is ieee1394 and raw1394 driver loaded?
> [31mFatal (devicemanager.cpp)[68] initialize: Could not initialize
> Ieee1349Service object

> [0m [31mFatal (freebob.cpp)[69] freebob_new_handle: Could not initialize
> device manager
> FreeBoB ERR: FREEBOB: Error creating virtual device
> cannot load driver module freebob
> [0m
> 03:29:46.470 JACK was stopped successfully.

> 03:29:46.471 Post-shutdown script...
> 03:29:46.471 killall jackd
> jackd: no process killed
> 03:29:46.878 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
> 03:29:48.506 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall
> operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the
> messages window for more info.

> ...I know nothing of firewire so there might be something I haven't done
> properly...
> //Paco

Your permissions are not set correctly, it seems. Assuming you've got a
standard Ubuntu Studio install, then you'll need to open up Ubuntu Studio
Controls under Stystem > Administration. Check the box for allowing access
to raw1394. It'll give you a warning, but just hit enter.

The other thing you'll probably need to do is create an 'audio' group and
then put yourself and 'root' in it. Every once in a while, I've still had
problems getting the system to allow access to firewire after doing this,
which is sometimes solved by creating a 'video' group and putting yourself
and 'root' into that.

If you're running a standard Ubuntu install, then you should check to make
sure your /etc/security/limits.conf file includes the following lines:

@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - nice -19 (or whatever you'd like to set nice to)
@audio - memlock unlimited (or whatever you'd like to set the memory limit
to)

If all else fails, you can also just manually give yourself permission to
access firewire by doing 'sudo chmod 777 /dev/raw1394' or something
similar. You will need to do that each time you start a session, assuming
you don't use one of the other fixes.

Getting firewire permissions to work has always been one of the most
annoying aspects of working with audio in Ubuntu.