Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

greg loyse gregoryloyse at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 17:19:42 GMT 2009

FFADO doesn't work with the new firewire stack (called juju):
http://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Juju_Migration#Compatibility_and_stability

FFADO support for the new stack is far in the future:
http://subversion.ffado.org/milestone/FFADO%203.0

My understanding is that if the Ubuntu 9.10 RT kernel was compiled
using the new stack (you can choose which one when you compile), FFADO
(and therefore firewire audio devices) won't be supported with this
kernel.

If my understanding is correct, doesn't that make packaging FFADO in
practice redundent?

I am not a pro so not totally sure I have grasped all the issues here.
However this is the result of 3 years of owning (and in the main
failing) to get a Edirl FA-66 device to work.