Hello, this is Linus Torvalds, and I pronounce Linux as Linux!

Farrell J. McGovern farrell.mcgovern at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 01:29:53 GMT 2009

Robert Klaar wrote:
> Why?... as opposed to Gnu/Linux? :/
Hi. My name is Farrell McGovern, and I am willing to bet that I have
been using Linux longer than almost anyone here. I started with kernel
version 0.12 back in 1992 or so...and thus probably predate you....

The reason why this recording was done was because there was a debate in
the Usenet Newsgroups on how to pronounce the name "Linux". So, Linus,
in his youthful wisdom recorded himself, both in English and Finnish,
with the correct pronunciation of "Linux",  and,  inadvertently but
fortuitously,  his name.  I believe that the Google Usenet archive has
the discussion, if you want to look it up.

ttyl
     Farrell

--
"No Budget survives contact with Reality"