Hardware & Software Recommendations?

Tommy yeah allornothin.tommy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 20:18:22 GMT 2009

Hardware:
I would recommend at least a qaud-core with 4 gigs of ram for audio/video
sessions > 5-10 gigs,
I prefer Asus motherboards but there are alot of great brands out there. I
also prefer Intel and nvidia chipsets over AMD and ATI chipsets.
If I were going to do Broadcast production I would get an Asus board with:
Intel Qaud-core 2ghz or better
2-4 gigs of DDR3 ram
or 4-6 gigs of DDR2
A SATA hard drive at least 7200rpm
or 2 SATA hard drives one for the operating system which can be any speed
and one 10000rpm for audio/video
A Nvidia PCI express 2.0 card, there are alot out there and getting cheaper
all the time,
I use a Nvidia 265 GTX which is a gaming card but works great for video
editing. The Nvidia Qauttro series I think is just for video editing.
Solid State Drives are incredibly fast but are very expensive right now.
I would recommend a firewire interface with 8 i/o so that patching between
different devices is  much easier,
The Presonius Firewire is a great interface. I use a Mackie Onyx which
firewires 16 channels in and 18 channels out at up to 96khz, broadcast I
think is at 48khz?
The Delta 1010 is a great PCI card for audio if you don't need a console.
Also you might want some studio monitors such as the KRK Rokit 5 as they
color the sound played back from your DAW the least.
Otherwise go with some good quality headphones
Are you going to be capturing any of your audio from other devices or is all
the audio pre-recorded?
Are you pulling the video off of removable media or directly from a camera?
If directly from a camera what transfer method does it use? Usb, Firewire,
SDcard, DVD? You'll have to decide how many USB ports you need, Do you need
a card reader for microSD Pro, Duo, SD, MMC, and formats like that.

With the quadcore setup I mentioned above I have ran 50+ tracks of 96khz
audio with about 35 effects on the session with 720i video and my system
load was only about 40% processor usage and 60% memory usage during playback
and mixdown.