Jaunty Real Time Kernel fails immediately

Rich E reakinator at gmail.com
Sun May 17 15:33:47 BST 2009

Hi Luke, list,

I tried installing the kernel linked here and got the following error from
the package installer. Anyone know why?  I only have the standard Jaunty
kernel installed, have not tried the rt (because it seems doomed).

Rich

Here is the error report:

Selecting previously deselected package linux-image-2.6.29.1-rt8-custom.
(Reading database ... 228217 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-image-2.6.29.1-rt8-custom (from
.../linux-image-2.6.29.1-rt8-custom_2.6.29.1-rt8-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb)
Done.
Setting up linux-image-2.6.29.1-rt8-custom
(2.6.29.1-rt8-custom-10.00.Custom) ...

 Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/2.6.29.1-rt8-custom/build
 However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/2.6.29.1-rt8-custom/build

 Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link
/lib/modules/2.6.29.1-rt8-custom/source
 However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/2.6.29.1-rt8-custom/source

Running depmod.
Finding valid ramdisk creators.
Using mkinitramfs-kpkg to build the ramdisk.
Running postinst hook script update-grub.
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29.1-rt8-custom
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Replacing config file /var/run/grub/menu.lst with new version
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common exited with return code 20
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at
/var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.29.1-rt8-custom.postinst line 1186.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.29.1-rt8-custom (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2