RIAA phono eq curve

Sean Corbett seanbutnotheard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 12:56:36 GMT 2009

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:31:54 -0400
> From: Phil <phil at magnustudios.com>
> Subject: RIAA phono eq curve
> To: Ubuntu Studio Users Help and Discussion
>        <ubuntu-studio-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Hey,
>
> I've got a large collection of vinyl records I need to record onto CD, or
> some other digital format. I've got a stereo with phono inputs, so I could
> use that for the preamp, but I'd rather take the phono player directly into
> my firebox and correct the EQ digitally.
>
> I've done a bit of research on what I need to do. I need a really accurate
> diagram of the RIAA phono curve. The best I've found so far is the one at
> wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RIAA-EQ-Curve.svg . It's only
> got the markings for 20, 1000, and 20000 Hz. I guess it's got to be a
> logarhythmic graph so I should be able to use it to acurately find the other
> frequency levels.
>
> What I'm hoping for is that someone has already done this and has made a
> preset for a ladspa plugin, or for jamin. Does anyone know of this?
>
> If not, I'll make mine publicly available when I do it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil
> phil at magnustudios.com

Audacity has the RIAA curve built in... Just record your vinyl, select
the whole recording, and go to Effect>Equalization... and select
'RIAA' from the 'Select Curve' dropdown at the bottom.  I've never
done this myself though, so I can't vouch for its accuracy.

--
Sean Corbett

 __BlacktownSoundLabs__
[http://blacktownsound.com]