UBS Hardy 8.04 RT kernel panic...

beejunk at gmail.com beejunk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:54:12 BST 2009

On Jun 30, 2009 10:29am, wayne <wayne at jawnee.org> wrote:

> ahoy all,
> i have been looking into this bug every once in a while (for around 1
> year) and have yet to solve it. yes, i am still running Hardy UBS 8.04,
> as it is reliable and does the job. i am thinking that many of you are in
> the same boat.

> i am running 2.6.24-24-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT with all the latest Hardy
> updates/etc. applied on a 1st Generation MacBook Core Duo. the problem is
> the following kernel panic that happens at least 50% of the time on a
> restart (either cold boot or hibernate, which basically work the same on
> the MacBook, in that the boot loader/refit is executed):

> MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC

> Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer does not work! Boot with
> apic=debug and send a report. Then try booting with the "noapic" option

> if no kernel panic occurs, usually the MP-BIOS bug line still appears.

> i have found a few bug reports and comments on-line, but no solutions
> have worked for me. it is not the worst bug in the world, but often i
> boot up from hibernate and then setup instruments/etc. waiting for the
> long thaw from hibernate. then i return to my computer and see the kernel
> panic. perhaps someone else has some clues/insights, and we can get the
> fix in the list archives for others, as it seems Hardy UBS is still the
> preferred production platform.

> perhaps the solution is to simply upgrade to 9.04, though seems like
> there are still some RT issues working themselves out. any experience
> with UBS 9.04 on a MacBook?

> peace, w

I can confirm the exact same behavior, on the exact same set-up. Sadly,
I've not been able to find any solutions for it, either.

I can say that the problem does not exist on Jaunty with a first generation
MacBook, which is good. However, the performance of the RT kernel in Jaunty
on my set-up was poor, and so I went back to good ol' dependable Hardy.
Besides an unusable amount of X-Runs, the RT kernel also constantly had my
fans running, which was very annoying, and in a mixing environment also
obstructive. At this point I have the feeling that I'll be waiting until
Karmic to try again.

As for the issues with suspend and hibernation, I've just gotten into the
habit of never doing those things. I turn the computer on when I need to
record, I just leave it running with a blank screen (with the lid up, of
course) during down times, and then shut it down when I'm done. It's a bit
inconvenient, but the rest of the performance in Hardy is so solid that
I've just accepted the minor hassles.