USB-audio card recommendation please

Philip Schleihauf phil at adjacentfilms.com
Sun Jun 21 14:39:24 BST 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 5:21 AM, Hamish Low <sub_acoustic at yahoo.co.nz>wrote:

> I'm sick of waiting for Presonus to getting around to supporting FFADO
> (I bought a Firebox - at the moment an expensive paperweight).

You can't get the firebox to work? Mine works perfectly, I can even chain up
multiple ones simultaneously (something the presonus drivers can't even do).
I use the "freebob" driver in UBS 8.04, haven't gotten around to trying in
9.04 yet. Make sure you've got the right FW permissions, so if it doesn't
work try

sudo chmod o+rw /dev/raw1394

I think that should work. The "Ubuntu Studio Controls" thing never worked
for me in 8.04, but there is another way to make it permanent (with this
command you have to use it every time you start up). I can't remember off
the top of my head but it's not hard to find.

Good Luck!

Philip Schleihauf
Unicycling across Canada for Invisible Children:
http://unicycleacrosscanada.ca