kernel 2.6.29.5-2-rt seems to not recognize my soundcard

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 8 02:48:18 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 11:38:10AM EST, Susan Cragin wrote:
> >> Thank you for the suggestion. With echomixer the audio shows up but incoming registers at a very, very low level and there is no control to increase it. Perhaps there is a bug.
> >
> >To rule out a kernel issue, try and see if you can incoming audio at a higher level with th3 2.6.31-2-generic kernel. If thats ok, then there is something with the kernel that needs addressing.
> >
> >Luke
>
> I installed the 2.6.31-2-generic kernel and recompiled alsa against that kernel. Still no incoming sound. So it's not the kernel.
> The echoaudio iox is a relatively new card. I imagine not that many people have tested it.

I suggest you don't recompile alsa against that kernel. Using alsa from the archive, i.e alsa-source may make things worse, as that code is slightly older than what is in the kernel. So try removing/reinstalling the kernel, and not compiling alsa against it, as that kernel as the iox module included.

What sort of audio input device are you using with that card, i.e what microphone etc? It could be that the card is expecting a line level signal, and the device you are using doesn't send a strong enough signal. If you could try connecting a line level device to the card, i.e an ipod.CD player and try again, you may find that the level is much better.

Luke