usb/midi adapter - which ones work well?

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Tue Jan 27 01:15:43 GMT 2009

i could be wrong here, someone feel free to jump in and correct what i
think i've found...

it seems like the m-audio (2x2, 4x4) adapters work, but require drivers
that aren't supported by the manufacturer.

it seems like the tapco link.midi 4x4 works out of the box, and the street
price is close to (or less than) the m-audio 2x2. it also seems a little
bit tougher (recessed front/rear panels, rubber padding) and a little
better designed, overall (different color LEDs for input/output/power,
kensington lock hole). of course, i'm just looking at pictures on the
'net, so i could be off by a tad ;)

ideologically, i'm also leaning towards the mackie because it seems to
"just work". i'd rather spend my money with a company that's following
standards, rather than a company that uses proprietary drivers and merely
tolerates linux users developing an independent driver, with no company
support (if i understand it correctly).

it even looks like the tapco firmware upgrades are just a sysex file... so
i wouldn't expect any problems using amidi to upgrade the firmware. that's
actually two points they've scored; in addition to using sysex for
upgrades, they have upgrades!!

like i said, this is based on a few minutes googling, and may not
accurately reflect reality.

if anyone can comment on these (or other!) usb/midi adapters... please
do...

thanks...

--
         ...atom

  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is
 	 our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
 		-- George "dubya" Bush, 13 Sep 2001

 	"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't
 	 care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
 		-- George "dubya" Bush, 13 Mar 2002