Pulse ?

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 20:32:38 GMT 2009

Why can't we make pulse optional in UBStudio?

I understand UBS as an audio specific distro that focuses on
audio/multimedia production. We use RT, Jack, etc, knowing precisely what
UBS is designed for.

The only version of pulse i have installed now is in the laptop that i use
for admin (Ubuntu Hardy). In that environment it serves me well, and
objectively, i don't think it will be long before pulse becomes the generic
audio choice for most distros, as it provides a common framework for devs to
work with, something we could do with more of on the linux planet.

However UBStudio, and other audio specific distros, are designed for a
purpose, that, in most cases, requires a RT, or near realtime specific
environment in which we gain the most advantage. As i understand it, pulse
already introduces a degree of latency in it's operation that is
counterproductive to realtime audio work. (Correct me if i have the bear by
the wrong ear here.)

In reference to my note about the laptop, i'd find it more useful if the UBS
team could devote a little time in consideration of building an RT kernel
for powerpc owners, be it laptops like mine (G4, circa 1800) to the powerful
beasts that came out before apple went intel.

I'm confident there's more than one user who has a spare ppc computer
gathering dust that's crying out for use as a second box, driving
linuxsampler, or plugins, etc...

My little laptop with UB hardy ppc runs a good deal faster than it ever did
with mac, and i'd dearly like to see it do the gazelle thing, speaking
audiosyncratically, of course.....

So UBS pulse out, and ppc UB RT in here.