UBUNTU Studio 64bit or 32bit rt

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Thu Jan 8 19:09:53 GMT 2009

suemac at empire.net wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just curious here.
>
> I currently have the 64bit version of Ubuntu Studio 8.10 loaded on my
> laptop.
>
> Jack gets XRUNs regularly with freebob. No other apps running just freebob
> connected to my FP10.
>
> I don't remember this being the case with 8.04 and the rt kernel.
>
> Since I haven't heard anything about an rt version of 8.10 (will there also
> be a delay with 64bit rt?) on the horizon...

This is a known issue.  It depends on the rt patch for 2.6.28
There should not be a time difference between 32 and 64 bit on x86
processors.

> - Is it possible to eliminate the XRUNs in the 64bit version without rt
> kernel?

Increase periods and buffers.  Of course this also increases latency.

> - If I want to do live recording should I just go back to 8.04?

You could also build a 2.6.24 with the RT25 patch.  The easiest thing to
do is to go back to 8.04.

> Different issue:
>
> - Does anyone know how to get the on board sound devices to show up in
> Jack, WHILE freebob is in use? (After much research in the forums, getting
> no response from either the JACK or Pulseaudio forums/irc channels, and
> lots of tinkering I've been unable to find the secret...if it exists.)

I do not have a definitive answer, but I was pretty sure that you could
only use one device at a time with jack.

If there is a way to do it, I have not heard of it.

> - Is there a way to configure the JACK freebob settings for low latency and
> no XRUNs.

Probably a good idea to look here:
http://www.ffado.org/?q=documentation

Low latency AND no XRUNS pretty much depends on an RT kernel.

Hth,