building 2.6.24 in an intrepid environment

Glenn Holmer gholmer at ameritech.net
Tue Jan 6 08:55:13 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 19:57 -0800, Rafael Chacon wrote:
> Canonical releases a new version of Ubuntu every six months. As each
> new version, it is normal that the new version has fewer bugs than the
> previous one (e.g. Windows 2008 has fewer bugs than Windows Vista).

Strongly disagree.  I upgraded from 8.04 "Heron" to 8.10 "Ibex", and
found it so buggy that I actually downgraded several machines to 8.04
(including my main box).  LTS (long-term support) releases like 8.04
will by definition always be more stable than the "let's release every
six months whether it's ready or not" versions.

This is why I don't think it's that big a deal that the real-time kernel
is not available for Studio 8.10; I've stayed on 8.04 and been happy.

--
"After the vintage season came the aftermath - and Cenbe."
Glenn Holmer  (Q-Link: ShadowM)  http://www.lyonlabs.org