building 2.6.24 in an intrepid environment

Rafael Chacon rafa62 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 03:57:11 GMT 2009

Brody:

I do not understand exactly what anchors you to Windows, but you can use other software instead of Ardour (e.g. Audacity for sound editing).

Canonical releases a new version of Ubuntu every six months. As each new version, it is normal that the new version has fewer bugs than the previous one (e.g. Windows 2008 has fewer bugs than Windows Vista).

In my opinion, I do not recommend you to compile. It is better to use Synaptic.

In my experience (I have changed the operating system of 3 PC from Windows XP to 100% Ubuntu 8.04/8.10), my biggest problem was "think Linux" instead of "think Windows" to solve a problem. I mean: in Windows you have one o few ways to do something; in Linux you have many ways and --in some cases-- you can mix them. Also, the security and the file managing is very different. That can make someone feel lost.

My suggestion: begin with some software in your machine in Windows. When you are comfortable with this software, switch to the same software in Linux. The software that I recommend (again, the best solution depend on each one, there is not ONE best solution) is:
* OpenOffice (office productivity suite: word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, etc.).
* FireFox (Internet navigator).
* ThunderBird (mail).
* VLC (multimedia player, encoder, and streamer)
* Audacity (digital audio editor)
* TuxGuitar (a score writer and midi sequencer)

A personal comment: I feel Ubuntu less buggiest than Windows (XP, Vista) and with better performance (e.g. a Dell Inspiron 2200-Pentium M with Ubunto 8.04 runs faster than a Dell Latitude D420-Centrino Duo with Windows XP; a Dell Inspiron 1420 with Ubunto 8.10 faster than a Dell Inspiron 1420 with Windows Vista).

I hope that helps you to be able to make the switch.

Rafael