ppa with backported packages for hardy and intrepid

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 2 19:15:04 GMT 2009

Khashayar Naderehvandi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to do two things in one: Learn a bit about
> debian/ubuntu packaging + creating a ppa with up-to-date versions of
> some of the applications that I would use myself, that is music
> production applications, for hardy and intrepid.
>
> The packages in my ppa are completely untested (this cannot be
> stressed enough, I haven't even tested all of them myself), and they
> are my first attempts ever of (re)packaging.
>
> Now, my question is: Is there any interest in an archive like this? If
> yes, would it be a good idea to start a team for backporting packages?
> Is anyone interested in working on this?
>
> Right now, the ppa holds, e.g:
> * ardour 2.7
> * audacity 1.3.6
> * hydrogen 0.9.4beta2
> * ffado 2.0-rc1
> * jack 0.116.1
> * kernel 2.6.24 for intrepid 64-bit
>
> My idea is to keep to latest upstream versions of packages and avoid
> experimental versions. The reason hydrogen 0.9.4-beta2 is there, is
> because 0.9.3 never worked with jack+ffado for me, and the reason
> ffado is there, is because jack+freebob never worked with my audio
> device.
>
> Personally, I think there should be a semi-official archive that
> allows ubuntustudio users to upgrade to the latest and greatest
> without leaving their distribution, be it hardy or intrepid. To me,
> this became obvious when I realized I couldn't upgrade to intrepid due
> to the realtime kernel problems. I really wanted a new version of
> ardour, and hydrogen wouldn't work for me, and so on, so I ended up
> compiling everything I needed locally, but if I'm doing it, there
> might be others doing it as well, and some who don't know how to do
> it. So why not sharing, eh?
>
> Regards,
> Khashayar.
>
> (PS, I know I haven't included a link to the ppa. That's because all
> packages aren't built yet, and I want to know what people think first.
> Also, I have to come up with a way to REALLY STRESS that the packages
> are completely untested :-))

Khashayar, I have been kicking around the idea of having a official
backporter on the team which would address exactly this. I was waiting
until after the holidays to talk about it but what the hell.

If you're interested, say so. We'll try to get a ball rolling.

If you wanna chat real-time, #ubuntustudio-devel on Freenode.

-Cory K.