Learning Linux

Karoliina Salminen karoliina.t.salminen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 20:15:07 GMT 2009

Hello,

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Larry David <larrydavid07 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I hope this isn't too noobish for the list - can anyone recommend a
> book or a website to learn Linux - enough to be comfortable
> installing and troubleshooting UBS?

Well, just download the Ubuntu CD and try it out.
It is so easy to use and install, that you don't need a book to do that.
I would bet that these days one needs more mouse clicks and trouble shooting
in installing Windows. The only thing that beats Ubuntu installation
in easiness is
installing the MacOSX. But the difference is quite thin nowadays.
Ubuntu is really easy
to install and work on. You don't need to compile kernels and do
programming yourself to use
the Ubuntu. Linux used to be like that a long time ago, but those
times are long gone.
There was long a discussion if Linux is ready for desktop use, and the
time it has
been ready has been now already couple of years and Ubuntu is getting
on each release better and better.
The 6 month release cycle is very rapid and things change for better
at amazing rate.

Best Regards,
Karoliina Salminen
(running couple of Ubuntu computers)