Formatted wrong drive: recovery possible?

Paul DeShaw pauldeshaw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 20:31:45 GMT 2009

Greetings,

While attempting to make a bootable USB drive, I accidently formatted the
hard drive with all my recorded work on it.  Is it lost forever?  Are there
people who can recover data in such a case?

The drive does not mount, and Gparted says:

"Unable to detect file system!  Possible reasons are:
-The file system is damaged
-The file system is unkown to GParted
-There is no file system available (unformatted)"

This was the drive I used to back up my main system drive; I didn't have a
backup for my backup.

There were no completed projects, but a lot of work-in-progress.  It feels
like when somebody dies. Is there any hope?

--Paul in Seattle