Plugin GUI's and Ubu love

Karlheinz Noise khzmusik at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 8 00:50:50 GMT 2009

> Just a quick note, Karlheinz. There IS a Linux standard for plug-in GUIs.> It is called LV2 (http://lv2plug.in/) It is fairly new, but seems to be> promising. I've used some LV2 plug-ins, and they're pretty cool.
This is good news. I heard some vague rumblings about this a while ago, but I didn't know it was actually happening.
Hopefully a lot of software will implement it soon. If I actually get good at C++, maybe I'll even try my hand at porting a few "open-source" VST's.
There was this guy named Richard Brooks, who created a bunch of knob and slider images (for a Win program called SynthEdit, which I still use). His site's gone now, but I still have those images somewhere. Maybe I can convince him to make them CC, if I can find him...
Speaking of Windows programs, there's a feature I use in WaveLab that I haven't been able to find in any FOSS software. That program has something called a "master section," which is basically just a bunch of slots for plugins. They all effect the sound in real-time, and when you've tweaked them to your liking, you hit a button called "Render" and it processes the active wave files in non-real-time.
I know about stuff like JackRack, but AFAIK you can't render to a wave file except in real time. Also, using Audacity, you can only render one effect at a time, and you can't listen to it in real time (e.g. to edit the file with the effects on). Anyone know of a tool that does this? It makes mastering a lot easier.
> I kind of hope the 'nick' sticks: "UbuStu" (perhaps it has been> used before, but this is the first time I have noticed it(?).
I'm not the one who came up with it, but I don't remember who did. I like the Pere Ubu connotations.
And, thanks for the kind words.
I'm deliberately avoiding writing about the whole Linux usability stance. I think by now I've made whatever point I could make.
-Karlheinz_______________________http://www.khznoise.com