waiting for professional grade

Ricardo Lameiro ricardolameiro at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 18:09:31 GMT 2009

Well about this discussion, iI think ?I am a little bit guilty.

Well resuming the info and ideas. The impression that I get from this
discussion is that UbuntuStudio is not a easy to use operative system.
Ubuntu studio doesn't go to the majority of the needs of the most of the
people that needs to work with "art".
Because most of the people using linux is geek and doesn't care with the
others needs. Also I read that we should look at the MACintosh to see how it
works, because everyone in the industry use it for years, and it is solid
etc...

Well This is a little bit disturbing indeed, because, normally there are
very few inputs to the DEV team. very few ideas and test cases etc. But i
see a lot of people complaining. And this nobody can deny. Peple come and
just complain, instead of describing the error or the feature etc.

About the Kernel, well, Ubuntu has some differences with the debian Kernel.
for instance, I can use restricted modules on the ubuntu Kernel, really
easy, in others systems is not so easy.

So instead of flaming the linux geeks about the suposed "easy of use" and
the features needed I propose to make a list of ideas and features to bring
to Ubuntustudio.

The objective of this list is for PROFESSIONAL AUDIO/VIDEO/GRAPHICS SYSTEM,
not for a desktup use for day to day.

SO I start with some ideas.

- Embed the Realtime configurations from the root up. No especial config for
doing it. If it is pro, all the pros need RT KERNEL.
- Interface to configure the priorities and memory limits with GUI
- Make a package out of the UBUNTU universe, that will install FST
(VST/wine) with easy, Cant be official, because the vst sdk is not
opensource and there are distribution issues (once more, not linux or DEVs
fault, but instead Closed software developers fault)
-A UbuntuStudio wiki where user can add easily tutorials, test cases, config
tips, hardware tips, etc. Don't need to be a "geek" to help FLOSS. Just need
to WANT to help insted of complain. Be more assertive and less negative. be
constructive.

So I hope people start to colaborate to make this OS the best suited to do
A/V/G work in Linux, But for that we need the help of all the users. even
the non geek ones.

As a note, I am not of the DEV team. But if we help them, they will help us.
Think in this and give your opinion.

Fagote / Contrafagote
Bassoon / Contra-bassoon
http://myspace.com/ricardolameiro