Ubuntu-Studio-users Digest, Vol 32, Issue 1

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 3 13:57:52 GMT 2009

>Brian King kirjoitti:
>
>> ubuntu's efforts to get rt kernel working in realtime mode just isn't
>> there yet :-( ubuntu just hasn't got the right mix for maximum
>> desktop performance and rt yet :-(
>
>Well, RT-kernel works me... maybe it is just me ;-)

RT works for me much better, much faster, than generic kernel, and I even run one sound app through wine.
If Mr. King wants to test another kernel, maybe he should try bfsbfq, which is crazy-fast but runs best on a lightly-configured desktop (best with only one app running at a time) and has peculiar bottlenecks. (Backup first.)
Actually, to the extent there is a difference between real-time and just fast, bfsbfq is just fast. It gallops in some places, seems to trot in others. My opinion? bfsbfq will be great a year from now to run just one sound application at a time on a low-powered machine. Probably best with Lubuntu, if that ever gets started.
Susan