Jaunty 9.04, jackd and two Gina 24 soundcards

Richard Lamont richard at lamont.me.uk
Sun Aug 16 22:14:13 BST 2009

Hi,

I have UbuntuStudio 9.04 on a box with two Echo Audio Gina 24
soundcards. These are professional soundcards with balanced ins and
outs. Each card has two analogue input channels and eight analogue outs,
and eight of each on S/PDIF.

BTW if anyone is struggling to get any sense out of these cards, they
need the alsa-firmware package, available from medibuntu, to provide a
firmware blob.

I've removed pulseaudio.

The kernel finds these two cards quite happily and in /proc/asound they
appear as Gina24 and Gina24_1, linked to card0 and card1 respectively.

In qjackctl, if I select default or hw:0, jackd finds the card quite
happily and sets it up with 2 inputs and 8 outputs. If I select hw:1 it
does the same with the other card.

If I select hw:0,1 then jackd will start but with only 2 ins and 2 outs.

After much googling several people say that the only way to get two
cards to work with jackd is to do the alsa pcm_multi thing. Is this
still the case or is it out of date? I suspect the latter, because
hw:0,1 appears as an option in qjackctl's setup screen.

If I try to specify the number of channels explicitly, jackd fails
saying (e.g.) that alsa "cannot set channel count to 16 for playback".

Any thoughts?

TIA.

--
Richard Lamont                        http://www.lamont.me.uk/