Help with M-Audio Delta 66 and ALSA

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Fri Aug 14 21:29:11 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 23:08 +0300, Asmo Koskinen wrote:
> Lindsay Haisley kirjoitti:
>
> > I was hoping someone on this list had encountered this problem before
> > and could give me some quick tips for accessing the signal from the
> > S/PDIF input on the Delta 66 card
>
> Let me ask this - nothing happens when you try to do this with Audacity?
>
> http://www.arkki.info/howto/Ubuntu_Studio_Testing/Audacity_spdif.png

The recording device can also be selected from Device Toolbar in
Audacity.  Selecting ALSA:spdif doesn't get me anywhere.  The selection
that fetches the Delta 66's first two ADC outputs into Audacity is
labeled "ALSA: M Audio Delta 66: ICE1712 multi (hw:1,0)"  This is the
only recording input listed as available to Audacity from the Delta 66.
These correspond to the first two physical (analog) input jacks on the
breakout box.  I haven't had any luck changing the audio stream
delivered from the various controls on bus channels exposed in
alsamixer, envy24control or Gnome volume control.

> And you know, you can control Delta 66 with alsamixer, too.
>
> http://www.arkki.info/howto/Ubuntu_Studio_Testing/Audacity_alsamixer.png

Yes, the CLI-based alsamixer seems, in some ways, to be the best of the
several mixers and control UIs available for the Delta 66, although
envy24control isn't bad.  I've played with settings for the card in
alsamixer a good deal.

Thanks.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |   (The Roadie)