Help with M-Audio Delta 66 and ALSA

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Fri Aug 14 16:05:20 BST 2009

I have a M-Audio Delta 66 card in my desktop system and a digital
recorder which can output S/PDIF digital audio.  I can connect the
S/PDIF output from the recorder to the input on the Delta 66 card and
the signal shows up in the S/PDIF meter in envy24control, but goes no
further, and I can find no way to work with the signal in other
programs.  In particular, I'd like to be able to record from this input
using Audacity, but Audacity only seems to want to see the hw0 and hw1
inputs which are the outputs of the first two ADCs in the card.  I can,
of course, input to the computer from the analog outputs on the
recorder, but I'd like to avoid the D->A->D conversion.  (For reasons
that have to do with the editing capabilities of the recorder, I also
want to avoid using the USB output and working directly with the saved
digital file on the recorders CF card).

Is there any way to configure ALSA so as to make the signal coming in to
the S/PDIF inputs on the Delta 66 accessible to other programs - perhaps
a stanza in my .asoundrc file?  I have no idea how to probe the card to
see what devices and control interfaces are available, or exactly what
to put in ~/.asoundrc to make this sound stream show up in Audacity.
Any help would be appreciated.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Never expect the people who caused a problem
FMP Computer Services |  to solve it."  - Albert Einstein