Upgrading Jaunty to Studio?

Natalia Rakowski n_rakowski at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 03:08:19 BST 2009

--- On Thu, 8/6/09, beejunk at gmail.com <beejunk at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi, Natalia.
> Since you're new, you should also know that the
> etiquette on this list is to post on the bottom of the
> quoted text when replying, not on the top.
>
> As for
> your question, it will work perfectly fine for you to just
> install the Ubuntu Studio metapackages:  ubuntustudio-audio,
> ubuntustudio-audio-plugins, ubuntustudio-graphics and
> ubuntustudio-video.  You should probably not install the
> ubuntustudio-desktop packages due to some conflicts with the
> regular Ubuntu desktop.  This is why the instructions link
> you to the Ubuntu Studio Preparation page.  That page is
> actually just a guide to installing most of the individual
> packages to be found in Ubuntu Studio, which essentially
> makes your machine like Ubuntu Studio, just without certain
> features (as the first line in the instructions
> indicates).
>
> In the end, I'd recommend just
> downloading the metapackages, minus desktop, because this
> also updates certain config files (like
> /etc/security/limits.conf) for you.

No problem.  Is that explained somewhere?  I didn't see it on the info page or in the welcome message.

I just installed the metapackages including the desktop earlier today.  What kind of conflicts with the regular Ubuntu desktop are there so that I know what to look for.

Everything seems to be working okay so far including the RT kernel which I've been reading has some issue for certain setups.

Thanks...

-- Natalia