Network Connection

beejunk at gmail.com beejunk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 18:59:23 BST 2009

On Apr 28, 2009 11:23am, Brian David <beejunk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Cliff Fellows cgfellows at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:

> Sounds more like a flu issue... :)

> Cliff

> --- On Tue, 4/28/09, Christopher Stamper christopherstamper at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> From: Christopher Stamper christopherstamper at gmail.com>

> Subject: Re: Network Connection
> To: "Ubuntu Studio Users Help and Discussion"
> ubuntu-studio-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 9:22 AM

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Susan Cragin
> susancragin at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Studio comes without network manager installed.

> I believe that network manager was left out for a good reason; I can't
> remember why. I sorta think I remember something about it causing
> xruns...

> --
> Christopher Stamper

> Email: christopherstamper at gmail.com
> Web: http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg
> gTalk: http://tinyurl.com/6e359r
> Skype: cdstamper

> It is possible to set up a wireless connection with Ubuntu Studio without
> network manager. I've had Ubuntu Studio auto-detect my wireless card on
> install and then just ask me for a password, and that was that. Whenever
> I logged in, it was just connected.

> This does not work on my laptop, sadly, and I haven't taken the time yet
> to figure out how to do a network connection manually. But I'm fairly
> sure it can be done.
> --
> -Brian David

Okay, I got it working on my laptop, and it was fairly easy. If it is
wireless you're trying to use, try this:

1. Go to System > Adminstration > Network

2. Hit 'Unlock' and type in your password.

3. Select 'Wireless Connection' and then hit the 'Properties' button. Type
in your settings. For me, this involved just entering my network name,
entering my password, and under 'Connection Settings' selecting 'Automatic
Configuration (DHCP)'. Then hit the 'Enable this connection' button at the
time.

That's it. A few seconds later I was connected to the internet! Hopefully
this will work for you.

-Brian