Jaunty Real Time Kernel fails immediately

Luke MacNeil tcpsyn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 14:56:35 BST 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Kjel Anderson <kjel.anderson at gmail.com>wrote:

> Susan,
>
> I updated your bug report. There was someone in IRC who was having the
> same problem. Do you know what motherboard you have? This fellow on
> IRC and I had the exact same model.
>
> Kjel
>
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Susan Cragin
> <susancragin at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >>Hey list,
> >>
> >>I'm sorry I don't have more information. There doesn't seem to be any
> >>log information generated. I can't find anything on Google. The real
> >>time kernel in Ubuntu Studio jaunty is failing immediately. It is
> >>puking a lot of characters, but I had a hard time seeing a coherent
> >>error message. If anyone can point me to a thread about this I would
> >>be appreciative. I haven't tried any kernel parameters yet.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Kjel
> >
> > It does the same for me and I will help if I can.
> > Also filed a bug with Ubuntu. #366352.
> > I eventually booted into Recover, dropped to the prompt with internet,
> and loaded the generic kernel.
> > sudo apt-get install linux
> > Then booted from that into Studio. Perhaps booting into RT and then
> re-booting into the generic one and reading the old log file?
> > I'll give it a go.
> > Sound had some problems under generic kernel. Have sound setting been
> changed? Alsa wrappers?
> > Susan
> >

> > --

I was having this problem. I was able to roll an RT kernel that works. I
threw it up on my webserver if anyone needs it, but I don't have much for
bandwidth, so if someone could toss this somewhere, it'd be great.

http://www.lukemacneil.com/linux-headers-2.6.29.1-rt8-custom_2.6.29.1-rt8-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

http://www.lukemacneil.com/linux-image-2.6.29.1-rt8-custom_2.6.29.1-rt8-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

If you install vanilla jaunty, use this kernel, and then install the ubustu
metapackages from the repos, all is well.

--
Luke MacNeil
www.lukemacneil.com