Ubuntu Studio 8.04 -> 9.04 upgrade

Brian David beejunk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 01:25:12 BST 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Michael Sullivan <garuda at wi.rr.com> wrote:

> Yes, with the DVD in the drive it says that there are 464 packages that
> I can install, when I click on the icon to start the update manager, it
> comes up, but then a warning comes up saying that not all updates can be
> installed.  When I look at the package list, many of the main audio
> packages are not checked - like for example, Ardour (main reason for the
> upgrade!) so I'm a bit confused.  Is this one of those situations where
> the upgrade has to be done in several passes or what?   The vanilla
> ubuntu documentation says you cannot to a direct upgrade from 8.04 -
> 9.04, but with Kubuntu you can - hence the confusion and the question....
>

> Christian Masser wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > No, you don't need to to a clean install. When you put in the CD while
> > running 8.04 there should be a message, that a new version has been
> > found or something like that, there you can do a system upgrade to
> > 9.04 directly.
> >
> > 2009/4/25 Michael Sullivan <garuda at wi.rr.com <mailto:garuda at wi.rr.com>>
> >
> >     Hi
> >
> >     I just downloaded the alternate iso for 9.04 and wanted to know if
> >     I can
> >     upgrade directly from Ubuntu Studio 8.04. I avoided 8.10 because of
> no
> >     RT kernel, but does that mean that I have to do a clean install
> (which
> >     would be a real pain in the ass)?
> >
> >     Thanks in advance.....
> >
> >     --

I can't seem to find it in my mail archives at the moment, but I seem to
remember that this issue was discussed before and at that time it was said
that upgrading from 8.04 to 9.04 would NOT be supported, so you'd have to
upgrade to Intrepid first and then to Jaunty, or just do a clean install.
However, an upgrade between LTS releases (such as Hardy to Karmic) would be
supported.

--
-Brian David