raw1394, good right for all during startup ?

beejunk at gmail.com beejunk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 18:08:41 BST 2009

On Apr 20, 2009 11:58am, beejunk at gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 20, 2009 11:35am, Luis de Bethencourt luisbg at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:02 PM, laurent.bellegarde
> >
> > laurent.bellegarde at free.fr> wrote:

> this.

> Well, it's getting there. . .

> First off, I can confirm that on my box, Ubuntu Studio Controls is now
> editing /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules. Something a little odd
> happened in my case, though. USC removed the line that said "#firewire
> device" (or something similar. You know, the comment line that says what
> device is affected) and replaced it with KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="disk",
> which should in theory be fine, except that it did not remove the
> KERNEL=="raw1394" line that is there by default, directly below that
> line, which places raw1394 in the 'video' group. Whether or not this
> matters, it did not work for me and I could not start JACK. So, I went
> ahead and removed that default KERNEL=="raw1394" line to see if that
> worked, and after restarting the computer, the group for /dev/raw1394 had
> indeed changed to "disk". That's a step forward, except that this still
> did not work, and I could not start JACK. Is there any reason
> /dev/raw1394 being owned by 'disk' would not give me the right
> permissions?

> Anyway, I then just did what I usually have to do, which is to change the
> line to say GROUP="audio", put myself in the 'audio' group, and voila, it
> works again.

> Hope this helps.

> --Brian

> Hope that helps.

You know, after reading Eric's response, I'ma bit confused. USC definitlely
added the GROUP='disk' line to my 50-udev-default.rules file, but it seems
like Eric is saying that it is supposed to change the group to 'video'.
Although, maybe it did this when I unchecked raw1394 access in the USC GUI
at some point. So the other question I have is, if you're saying that USC
is supposed to be putting firewire devices in the 'video' group, does imply
that I should just be making a 'video' group and putting myself in it? As
opposed to the 'audio' thing I have been doing (which is, I believe, what
was recommended practice for Ibex)?

-Brian