Forging a new path.

Luis de Bethencourt luisbg at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 14 13:18:06 BST 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 3:06 PM, alex stone <compose59 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> So far, this email has done what I intended. And luckily you guys have
>> been able to remain critical without resorting to childish language.
>
> Maybe because some of us are genuinely sincere in our enthusiasm to
> see UBS go forward as part of a wider linux profile, towards a greater
> excellence.
>

>> While some opinions as to what we are and have tried to achieve have
>> been a little off the mark, I'll just let that go because this is really
>> all about the future.
>

> Ok, i'll ask. Which future? I already said i was perturbed at seeing
> pulse audio included, as i think it doesn't add anything to a
> dedicated audio distro. That's just my view based on what i perceive
> an audio specific distro to be. But as this thread already shows, i'm
> not on my own (and i have no doubt there will be equally valid
> opinions to the contrary). It's your choice which direction UBS takes,
> and ours as users, and sometimes testers, and modest contributors in ,
> as to our perception of what UBS gives us in the process of writing
> music. As users we have to weigh up the time we have for writing
> music, and time spent maintaining our system. But i've also discovered
> in life that a self assessment of a project, and a sometimes hard
> appraisal of where it's going can be highly useful when trying to keep
> the train on the track, so to speak. Maybe this is UBS's time.
>

>> Also, it's been lacking in what anyone is willing to actually *do* for
>> this future but it's still early. :)
>
> Well, you need to quantify contribution. Some of us can't code, and
> like you, work for a living. I'll only speak for myself here, but i

We all work for a living :) I'm writing this email from the office.

> spend every moment i can, when not writing/working, testing, and
> trying to make some sort of even modest contribution. I'm also a
> clumsy linux audio PR chap, and attempt to 'spread the word' with
> patience, explanation, and occasionally the odd bout of strident
> enthusiasm. Not everything can be put on a list, and ticked as 'A
> contribution'. It can often be more subtle than that. You don't know
> how many people i, or others, been in contact with, or seen the hours
> spent talking them through an install, and the challenges that may
> arise. I do my best, sometimes getting it right and wrong, but i think
> it's a little strong to suggest there's only a few that make a
> contribution. Some of us are out in the trenches, and can't always
> appear in the office. :)

Your contributions are very appreciated, and they would be even more
appreciated if they were more public. We want to know about your PR
stories, we want to see/listen the creations made with Ubuntu Studio,
we want to know what you find out in your tests.

We want to know about our users and community.

Because those stories and kudos... are the only thing we get back from
our devoted effort to the Ubuntu Studio project.

Luis

>> I also want Luis to take over this chat so I'll just let things run for now.
>>

>> -Cory K.
>
> And again, i wish you all the very best Cory, whatever direction you
> take. It's my continuing view that there's a large group of audio
> users who continue to appreciate the effort you and many others put in
> on our behalf in the linux audio world, and the generosity of not only
> time, but selflessly shared expertise, that gives use great tools to
> work with, and the enjoyment that goes with using those tools.
>
> The linux audio journey, be it with UBS or something else, remains
> enjoyable, and full of thoroughly interesting surprises.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex.
>

> --
> Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerá
luisbg
<luisbg at ubuntu.com>
GPG: B0ED1326