FireWire drive access gone

Paul DeShaw pauldeshaw at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 20:14:40 BST 2008

On

>  Sun, 07 Sep 2008,  Gustin Johnson wrote:

> Paul DeShaw wrote:<snip>
>

> > pad at MacBuntu:~$ sudo find /media/PPA1 -type d -exec chmod 0666 \{\} \;
> > [sudo] password for pad:
> > find: /media/PPA1: No such file or directory
>
> Do a "df -Th" from the command line.  This will show you what is mounted
> where, and with what filesystem.  What do you see?

Oddly, enough, when I tried to get help at my local LUG meeting yesterday,
the drive opened fine with the laptop, and when I tried it at home, I could
open Ardour sessions recorded in MacOSX, not without problems (more on that
later).  As for the "df-Th" command,

pad at Studio909:~$ df-Th
bash: df-Th: command not found

Maybe there's a package I need to install?

The no such file or directory usually means that the directory you
> specified (PPA1) does not exist.

But I can navigate to it in the file browser, and from the command line:
pad at Studio909:~$ cd /media/PPA1.2
pad at Studio909:/media/PPA1.2$
pad at Studio909:/media/PPA1.2$ ls
Ardour sessions  Desktop DF      line_in              Sony DVD
Audio            dyne-2.5.2.iso  MIDI                 soon_C.aup
Desktop DB       gfg             Rosegarden Sessions  soon_C_data

> > You also said to check the drive for problems; I'm not sure how to do
> that.
> >
> I am not sure if Ubuntu can do this for HFS file systems...

Apparently not, unless the command is different:

pad at Studio909:/$ fsck.hfs+ -cfv /dev/sdb1
bash: fsck.hfs+: command not found

> Do Macs support ext2 or 3?  This is a better choice IMO.

AFAIK they don't.

> I exchange files with a Mac user regularly.  Usually I get a bunch of
> PCM Wav files or FLAC files on a DVD that I then import.  Sometimes he
> just copies them to my laptop via Samba.  I have personally had poor
> experiences with HFS, so I avoid it.  Interoperability over the network
> is usually fine though either via Samba or an SFTP client (ssh file
> transfer, not FTPS which is FTP + SSL/TLS).

I was hoping to have full access to the Ardour sessions on either system.

Now, suddenly, without changing anything, I can open an Ardour session  that
was recorded in Mac OSX, along with anything else on the drive.  I can play
back the tracks, and record a new track.  However, when I try to record
something on a track created on the Mac, I get these errors from Ardour:

[ERROR]: AudioEngine: cannot connect coreaudio:Built-in Input:out1
(coreaudio:Built-in Input:out1) to ardour:master/in 1 (ardour:master/in 1)
[ERROR]: AudioSource: cannot open peakpath (c) "/media/PPA1.2/Ardour
sessions/blabla/peaks/AbacuaClp-2%A.peak" (Permission denied)
[ERROR]: AbacuaClp-2.wav: could not write peak file data (Bad file
descriptor)

Looks like AudioEngine doesn't know to look for ALSA, though I'm hearing and
recording tracks.  Also looks like I don't have recursive permissions for
the whole directory.  I don't know what the bad file descriptor is about.

Maybe I should give up on OSX for now, since I have installed Ubuntu Studio
on both machines.  Still, it would be nice to work on sessions with a Mac
user, there are lots of them.  I kinda thought it would be possible, since
the OS's are both Unix or Unix-like systems.

--PD