newbie question - grub

Karlheinz Noise khzmusik at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 14 08:06:33 BST 2008

> this time i just let it go on its own, and it found windows loader on
> first disk, and it added it to grub

One thing you should consider:

All versions of Windows need to boot from the BIOS boot partition. That is, if you are pointing your BIOS to the C: drive as your primary partition, then Windows needs to boot from the C: drive.

This is something that is hard-coded into Windows, and you cannot change it. I believe that Windows thinks that booting from a non-primary partition is some sort of "security risk" or something equally backwards.

I found this out the hard way. I had a dual-boot of Win98 and Win2000, with Win98 on the primary boot partition, and I tried re-formatting the Win98 partition to install Linux. As a result, the whole computer was unusable. I had to install Win2K on the primary partition, and then install Linux afterwards.

Don't know if that's your situation, but if I'd have known this I would have saved myself a lot of trouble. Hope it helps.

-Karlheinz
http://www.khznoise.net/karlheinz