Ubuntu Studio 8.10, -rt and 2.6.27

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 00:09:04 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 1:26 AM, Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 September 2008 06:06:26 Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
>
> I use the machine for audio, if an out of sync kernel is the requirement
> for
> rt, than, yes.  That said, this is like any other product and decisions
> made
> by proprietary software companies: what is the best solution in regards to
> product development vs. customer satisfaction; sans profit motive of
> course.
>
> Also, I would not be upset.  The same as the development group, the users
> would make decisions base on their needs.

I think we're rather spoiled for choice, if one takes a step back and a
wider view for a moment.
I've been through the Win/Mac griller using DAWs, notation, etc, for a
living, for quite a few years, and the delight i had when i found
linux.UBStudio. RT, Jackdmp,Linuxsampler, Rosegarden,Ardour, Jconv, etc...
was formidable. No port limitations, native 64bit, etc... Wonderful stuff
for a middle aged classical music composer. (Been a tuxer for 9 months
now...never going back....)

So i don't see a problem with skipping a release, and taking a bit of time
tidying up and updating some of the apps in the repo. I actually think
that's a very good idea, and maybe the time out from hammering away trying
to do so much, with so few (I can't code, and that's a regret that i
continue to feel), will give the UBStudio team, and associated helpers, a
chance to catch their breath, and focus on the no doubt lengthy list of
smaller less glamorous jobs that they do, voluntarily, for us.

Time for pizza and cognac fellas, you've earned it imho.

My continued thanks for an excellent distro, and tools that actually work,
all day, every day. (Using Hardy here, and never more satisfied with the
stability and performance)

Regards,

Alex Stone.

p.s. Upgrading isn't compulsory..... :)