Ubuntu-Studio-users Digest, Vol 18, Issue 22

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Mon Oct 13 22:16:18 BST 2008

suemac at empire.net wrote:
> ------------------------------
>
>> Jussi said:
>
>> "Which graphics card do you have? Perhaps try installing the linux-rt
>> package, and the correct drivers for your graphics card"
>
>> I believe it's an NVIDIA chipset. I think I checked when I was booted in
> rt and
>> it said it was using the NVIDIA drivers. (I didn't load these so I guessed
> they
>> came with the machine and the generic kernel.

There are two different nVidia drivers.  There is the open source 2d
only nv driver, and the 3d binary driver called nvidia.  The closed
binary only driver has a kernel module that needs to be loaded, you can
check to see if it is loaded with this command:
lsmod |grep nvidia

If you get nothing back then the module is not loaded.  Generally you
have to do something to get the proprietary driver installed, and you
have to install it into every kernel that you have.  This is the problem
inherent with binary only drivers, and is now the reason that I now only
use Intel (their drivers are open source and included with the default
kernel, which means that you don't have to do anything to get them to
work, this is true of their video, wifi, and lan drivers too).

>> Active Accounts said:
>> "I was going to say the same thing with respect to the network device as
> well -
>> most certainly a module issue between the kernels. Check the difference
> between
>> the loaded kernels in the generic and the rt."
>
> I didn't check the network drivers, ran out of time. I'm not sure how to
> check the differences between the loaded kernels...where does the "stuff"
> that's loaded around
> the kernel get defined? I'd have guessed they'd both use the same file to
> define the
> drivers, screen res, and such.

But each kernel has its own copy of the drivers.  lsmod is the utility
to tell you what modules are loaded.  Drivers can be built as modules
that can be loaded and unloaded, or built directly into the kernel.
Modules are what most distros use.  I am assuming that you are using the
Ubuntu Studio RT kernel and not something you downloaded from somewhere
else?

>> Philipp said:
>
>> "Do you use binary drivers for video with the generic kernel? You might
>> need to install them for the rt-kernel as well. But beware, they might
>> cause problems."

This is very true.  Often the nVidia and ATI binary drivers don't play
well with RT kernels.

> See above, how do I tell? What file defines this...sheesh, I guess I'm
> gonna have
Maybe you did not install the restricted modules?
aptitude search linux |grep -w ^i
Should list the kernel related packages that are installed.

> to dig up more of my unix past life than I was hoping...

As opposed to...?  Personally I enjoy leaving batch/wsh behind.

>> There is more than one model of the tascam, the older one should work,
>> the newer one (122L ? not sure..) doesn't.
>
> This is a older model.

What is the model #?  Is it supported (alsa-project.org and ffado.org
have hardware compatibility lists)?