Xinerama Nvidia & RT

Karoliina Salminen karoliina.t.salminen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 16:44:50 BST 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:49 AM, John Cohen <producjohns at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I know its been discussed recently but this is slightly different (i
> think)
> I have 8.04 (32bit) Desktop and Studio versions installed on two
> different hard drives on my AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+. My
> Desktop edition works beautifully.
> My Studio version has been causing a lot of problems (crashes mostly) I
> figured out its probably because of 3D graphics acceleration and the rt
> kernel. I disabled the NVIDIA drivers and used the open NV drivers
> instead, making the system work alright.

I think we have encountered similar problems, and because of the
instability with
the rt-kernel we have been using the desktop kernel. The setup
consists of nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
and a Core 2 Quad and it is connected to 30 inch Dell monitor (with
2560x1600 resolution).
It used to be a huge problem for me (as I make music as a hobby) and I
also use the X-plane flight simulator on that
machine (which means that not using 3D acceleration is not an option).
I finally gave up half-way and have ever since been producing my music
on Mac with Logic Studio, I only occasionally
may use some sounds from the Ubuntu machine. I really hope the real
time kernel gets more stable with nVidia in the
future. I have encountered this instability from the times I used
Agnula (long time ago) and it hasn't completely got stable
even in the latest versions of Ubuntu it seems.

Best Regards,
Karoliina