mac x pc (was: Audio Production Laptop)

Trevis trev311 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 18:14:11 GMT 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Eric Hedekar <afterthebeep at gmail.com> wrote:
> Eric The Fireman has come to put out this flamewar!!
>
> I think it's safe to say that Karoliina is typing from her heart rather than
> her head when she makes statements like:
> <quote>
> The internal audio hardware is pretty good, at least on MacOSX side there is
> no such thing as latency in the Logic Studio (Logic Pro 8). I have not
> tested Ubuntu Studio with it...
> </quote>
> I'd be quite impressed to hear what type of phantom power or mic preamps the
> internal audiocard on a mac gives her, nevermind any actual latency tests;
> and since she seems to be the only one touting the 'Mac is great' banner, I
> hereby declare this war to be won by the PC supporters (wait aren't mac's
> just heavily marketed PCs?).  Anyways, with her constant linking to the mac
> site in her original posts and the fact that she recommended a macbook that
> doesn't have firewire (as the op was wanting multiple firewire ports), I'm
> starting to suspect she has some affilliation with the company - or maybe
> she's just been brainwashed.  I realize I'm starting to insult Karoliina so
> I'll stop myself and offer a quick aplogy for any innacurate presumptions or
> implications I have made in this or any other replies to you.  Anyway, to
> summarize, generic PCs win this round - lets stop this pointless battle;
> just go buy what you think is worth your money.
>
> -Eric The Fireman

You know, you are quite right. The new macbooks have shown that apple
does not want to target any kind of audio/video user with those
machines. Apple computers are great, if you like the OS, but this is
not an apple ML. For linux, it would seem that "generic" (or rather
non-apple branded) computers would seem better. Part of the price for
a macbook is in the OS and it would seem that on that specific model
(the most popular too, gee what a surprise) the price for the OS
compared to the hardware is higher. This leads me to another point...

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Sergio Bello <s.bello at sintechno.it> wrote:
>>
>> I can't speak for other countries, but here in Italy one can have a
>> refund if he/she won't oem windows installed on the pc.
>>
>> The same is not true for macs, i suspect...
>>
>> Sergio

I believe this is so in the US where AFAIK most manufacturers will
send a refund if you refuse the EULA upon first startup of the
computer. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong on that though, I'd
certainly like to know.