why would wireless be different between UStudio and U?

Brody McDonald brody.mcdonald at ketteringschools.org
Wed Nov 19 13:16:41 GMT 2008

To all:

I have been using Ubuntu Studio since 8.04, and had to jump through some hoops to get my laptop wireless (Broadcom) working. I upgraded to 8.10 and it still worked, but my audio went out. Finally, I decided to do a clean install. When I did that, my audio came back but my wireless went out!

After some experimentation, I found that regular old Ubuntu 8.10 live cd found my wireless right off the bat... so I installed THAT instead.

I appreciate the previous post about upgrading the audio, as that's what I will now need to do - but WHY would 2 versions of the same distro handle my wireless differently? UStudio didn't even seem to have the same network management in place. Is this possible/true?

Thanks,

Brody E. McDonald
Director of Choirs
Kettering City Schools