JACK's behavior revealed another problem

Mark Stuart Burge mark at msbrepairs.com
Mon Nov 10 14:25:40 GMT 2008

Tomas Valusek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thank you for your help with JACK. I have cought very basic grip of it,
> and stumbled upon another problem. I'm using proprietary ATI drivers,
> since with them work cltr-alt-grayplus and ctrl-alt-greyminus to change
> screen resolution while maintaining a desktop size, thus providing mi
> with very useful, although very basic, magnifier. But now when system
> starts, sound devices are given their system names randomly - sometimes
> is hw:0 assigned to SB Audigy and hw:2 to HDA ATI HDMI, sometimes is
> HW:0 ATI and hw:2 Audigy. I have not recognized the way hw:* devices are
> assigned, but when JACK stumbles upon ATI, it refuses to start. So every
> time I see JACK's error message, I have to enter setup window and
> re-select input and output devices.
>
> And BTW, latency displayed by the Setup dialog is 46.4 msec :(
>
> Tomas Valusek
>
> PS: Here is my current contents of .jackdrc file:
>
> /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -D -Chw:0 -Phw:0

An alternative to try if that doesn't work for you is:

sudo asoundconf list

  You might see something like this :

Names of available sound cards:
Audigy
ATI-Sound-Card

To set the audigy as the default card (replace audigy with the exact
name of the audigy card as it appears in the list:

sudo asoundconf set-default-card Audigy

followed by a reboot to test.

That is a  solution found here, thanks to Rocklobsta:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/how-do-you-change-the-default-sound-card-in-kubuntu-499520/