First impressions - what's JACK?

Hakan Koseoglu hakan.koseoglu at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 08:46:52 GMT 2008

Hi Tomas,

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 6:40 AM, Tomas Valusek <tvalusek at seznam.cz> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> But currently, I feel tossed away by Ubuntu Studio - if I run apps like
> MusE or Rosegarden, they complain JACK is not found. As a Windows user,
> I have no ide what's JACK for, and searching the Net yields some pages
> describing JACK from developer's point of view, no end-user,
> non-technical howto exists AFAIK. I think if I get specialized distro
> like Ubuntu Studio, no such dialogs should appear after install, this
> should be configured during install.
Jack is a daemon that provides connection services between various applications.
If you have Ubuntu Studio installed, in the menus look for "Jack
Control". After that all you need to do is hit the start button. If
everything goes well, its display will say "Started". After that you
can use Jack-supporting software. You can create connections between
various applications (rerouting inputs and outputs) with the "Connect"
button.

There is also a very helpful, generic mailing group called Linux Audio
Users in lau.linuxaudio.org, I would recommend subscribing to that
mailing group since quite a lot of linux and audio creation questions
and answers happen there.