Hardy doesn't recognize usb turntable

Fred Schuelzky phredsky at earthlink.net
Mon May 5 02:00:06 BST 2008

Evan Gill wrote:
> Ughgh (shivers..) Usb and turntable, do those even belong in the same
> sentence?
> If you still have the receipt, return it.
> You can rent good turntables for like a month and a preamp. Somthing
> that acctually has mass. Or even buy a good table, tonearm, cartridge
> and preamp, and then connect them to your regular audio interface. Way
> better sound quality, and reduces pips and pops. While also getting a
> more true sound reproduction that you would be used to. For example, you
> probably without a good tonearm are not getting much bass or treble
> reproduction. Good heavy tonearms are the way to go. Also a good
> cartridge, similar to having a decent sounding mic is critical. Mics
> have different responses and so do cartridges. The turntable/platter
> itself is just a motor and a platter. Here your looking for good heavy
> platters on isolators that are not susceptible to noise transmitting
> from furniture. The motor your just looking for something that is quiet
> and maintains the correct speed. Go bumming around garage sales, or pawn
> shops, I once heard of a guy who found a $15,000 phono setup not to
> mention the stereo and he bought it all for $100. Nobody wanted it
> because of the weight. Anyways it cam with two dynamic accustats, and a
> sub, Rotel power and pre-amps. All because they "didn't work" one
> replace of some old glass style fuses and everything came to life. The
> speakers needed to be rebuilt, ($350 a piece) but he resold them (he had
> B&W 802) to a friend for a sweet deal. (not as sweet as the $100) $1500
> a piece. Just look around, you can find a better turntable, its not
> worth it to rip in vinyl at Mp3 when you can really take full advantage
> of a Record.

Hi Evan
	This reply is probably off topic, sorry.
	Actually this Numark ttxusb is a fairly nice turntable. My brother is a
executive with the guitar center and it was a gift. It has a lot of
bells and whistles that I'll never need, bpm counter, 2 tonearms
straight and S shaped, built in riaa preamp, pitch and torque controls,
and weighs 40 lbs. It didn't ship with a cartridge, so I ordered a
Ortofon OM-20 which is super hi-tech. Lots of response 20 -20 khz,
better than these old ears can hear. The think works well with audacity
under XP. I'm kind of a hard head I want to make it work under ubuntu.
My old Kenwood amp is 20 year old, and I think I been hauling my Bose
301's around since 1973.
Evan search Guitar Center and take a look at this table, sure it's not
an Audio Technica, or a Dual But I think it will work well to digitize
this old classic rock and blues collection.

Thank for the reply
Fred