No audio from Rosegarden anymore

Toby Smithe tsmithe at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 26 17:19:25 GMT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Paul DeShaw <pauldeshaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I found the package here:
>
>  http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/all/fluid-soundfont-gm/download
>
>  I installed the .deb, but I'm not sure  what it actually does. I have to
> learn more about how sounfonts work.  Does the .deb  create a .sf2 file I
> can load into Fluidsynth/Qsynth?
> I've tried opening Qsynth and the FluidSynth DSSI plugin, but I can't find a
> soundfont to load.

Point your synth to the files in /usr/share/sounds/sf2. There is
FluidR3_GM.sf2 (for GM), and FluidR3_GS.sf2 (with the GS extensions).
At some point in the future, I'll have this integrated more. A step
forward has been made in my package in Debian, which installs example
timidity configurations in /usr/share/doc/fluid-soundfont, but I'd
like to be able to install them to a /etc/timidity/cfg.d directory and
have them automagically picked up. I'm working on it!

> Over the past few days, I've experimented with what you talked about in your
> original response.  I found I could record my voice to an audio track and
> play it back.  Also, I could assign MIDI tracks to Hexter, Trivial Synth,
> and Less Trivial Synth, and get some sound.  So, I guess it's some problem
> with TiMidity.  Weird how it worked before, then just stopped working.  XMMS
> can still play MIDI files with TiMidity.

Timidity uses Freepats by default, and requires (a reasonable amount
of) extra configuration to work with Fluid. FluidSynth, via QSynth, is
a lot easier at this point in time.

> I'm glad you're still willing to entertain these kinds of questions despite
> being annoyed when they come up repeatedly.  Next time I'll spend more time
> with the documentation before asking.

We're here to help.