How will Pulse Audio change things for me?

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Tue Mar 25 20:54:47 GMT 2008

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:35:55 +0200
Asmo Koskinen <asmo.koskinen at arkki.info> wrote:

> holotone at gmail.com kirjoitti:
> > My question is, how will Pulse Audio, in actual practice, change
> > things for me as a Linux-based musician?
> >

> I think - nothing. It just expand networked audio possibilities.
> LTSP5 use it on the Ubuntu's thin client system.
>
> http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Feisty/HOWTO:_PulseAudio
> http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Sound#Which_sound_server_should_I_choo
>
> Thin client on the Hardy Beta x86_64:
>
> http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5_64/Beta_64/Sound_01.png
>
> Here is same machine (LTSP5 Server) working as Studio:
>
> http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5_64/Beta_64/QSynth_Jackd_01.png
>
> I do not see Pulse Audio anywhere, I just use Jackd, that's the base.
>
> Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

What does not work is pulseaudio and portaudio apps. So if you try to
use for example audacity with pulseaudios alsa-emulation you are out of
luck. In that case you would need to shut pulseaudio down and use alsa
natively.
Another thing is that the output level of stuff that goes through
pulseaudio is a lot lower than with just alsa.

Pulseaudio should shut down the moment you start jack (if they use the
same device) and thus it shouldn't affect you if you use jack.

Regards
	Philipp