Emu 1212M

Paul DeShaw pauldeshaw at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 18:23:17 GMT 2008

> From: "Margot Copeland" <margotcopeland at gmail.com>
> To: Ubuntu-Studio-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:02:19 -0700
> Subject: Emu 1212M
> In 7.04 a reinstall gave me audio! I was NOT thinking in that 7.10, with a
> clean install would do the same as the previous version. Nope.
>
> Although, after the update of 7.04....I lost my desktop.
>
> I'd LOVE to have Ubuntu Studio work for me, as I'm not able to afford any
> of the mainstream audio programs, but this is just too much futzing around
> with code/terminal to make it usable for even home projects.
>
> Maybe some day, Linux will fulfill it's promise to the "non techhie"
> musician....
>
> Till then...
>
> --
> "The "T" in Margot is silent (pronounced MAR-go) I, on the other hand, am
> NOT
> :-)

> Yeah, I hear your frustration.  Linux audio is still pretty much geek
territory.  I have at least a hundred hours into Linux audio and haven't
been able to get some things working, but most people have better luck.
Ubuntu released every six months, and Ubuntu Studio tries to follow that
schedule, so maybe try again after Hardy is released in April.

You might also see if Musix works for you.  It's a live CD, so you don't
have to install it if you don't want, and has good hardware detection:

http://musix.org.ar/en/index.html

Another live CD is Dyne:Bolic. They make some bold claims as far as
out-of-the-box usability with any hardware:

http://dynebolic.org/

I am skeptical of such claims, but it's free.

Regards,

Paul in Seattle