Scanning tips?

Fernando M Lacerda fernandomlac at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 18:56:52 GMT 2008

> Christopher Stamper wrote:
>  > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at nc.rr.com
>  >
>  >     I was wondering if anyone has tips for reducing the amount of printing
>  >     dots one sees when you scan something? ie: CD cover.
>  >
>  >     I scan around 300dpi and use "Despeckle" in GIMP but I still don't get
>  >     the result I would like.
>  >
>  >     Any ideas?
>
>  > 300dpi is pretty low...
>  >
>  > Why not set it higher?
>
>  I really love the replies that don't address the question. ;)
>
>  But as long as your next reply addresses my original question, and
>  doesn't continue to stray, I'll answer.
>
>  A: Because the end format is 1000x1000px at 72 DPI. Doesn't really matter.
>  Higher res just means better defined dots.

Actually, I believe it matters. It doesn't depend on the _end format_
you want, but on the _source media_ you're scanning. I believe the
better result is obtained when you scan in a resolution twice the
resolution of the source material you're scanning. After that you can
reduce the image to the end format you want.

Regards,

Fernando L.