Iinstalling Ubuntu Studio...

Raphaël Doursenaud rdoursenaud at free.fr
Tue Mar 11 00:34:30 GMT 2008

Boris Djemrovski a écrit :
> [...]
>>>  ubuntu studio 64 bit)
>>>
>>>  Few questions:
>>>  1. When installing, I got only option for install in text mode. Why is
>>>  that? (other linux systems and 'clean' ubuntu first boot from cd, and
>>>  than in GUI I can install) If this is just because, I don't blame it, I
>>>  only ask if I am doing something wrong here. And why is that ISO called
>>>  'alternate install CD'? Why 'alternate', and why 'CD' when it has more
>>>  than 800 MB size?
>>>
>> Alternate is the code name for text mode install. Other distros, like
>> Ubuntu, have graphic install because they want to be easy for new
>> users and they want to be a live cd too, making a live cd of ubuntu
>> studio makes no sense, as the apps are fast hardware demanding.
>>

>>>  2. I always do partitioning manually, so I am wandering what is
>>>  difference between ext3-2, raiserfs?
>>>
>> Too technical yet, I would have to go into file system theory,
>> journaling and how the data is actually stored in your phisical drive.
>> That's stuff a new user shouldn't worry about, just use ext3, which is
>> ext2 with some improvements. reiserfs is a different thing, but most
>> people recommend ext3, anyway, you won't notice the difference unless
>> you are a big system admin.
>>

>>>  3. Next, when installing, on few points my installation stops and shows
>>>  only 'please wait'. In this moments, nor my HD is 'working', nor DVD
>>>  reader. It longs between 5 and 30 minutes (yes, exactly). This is really
>>>  painful. Why is that?
>>>
>> I don't know about this... maybe it likes the suspense.
>>

>>>  4. And, finally, about driver I need. This is graphic card ATI Radeon HD
>>>  2600 PRO. When I first time boot UbuntuS, it shows me some window about
>>>  downloading and installing suggested driver, but it always said that
>>>  this is 'restricted'. What should I do?
>>>
>> Restricted means that the driver that is going to be installed isn't
>> open source, and it's going to "taint" your kernel. Go with this one
>> as it performs much better, it even performs better than the windows
>> driver (says slashdot today). This should do all for you
>> automatically, no need for manual diver installation that you
>> mentioned before. Manual installation of drivers and apps... well, you
>> left that behind in windows. Apt/Synaptic is your friend.
>>

>>>  Thanks a lot.
>>>
>> No problem.
>>
>> Luis
>>
>> PD: In soviet russia ubuntu studio installs you.
>>

>>>  Boris
>>>
>>>  --
>>>

> Thanks for quick reply guys. About the driver... problem is, that I USED
> this automatic recommended driver installation, but than GUI crashes on
> boot. It shows something about /etc/x11/xorg.conf, and it don't find
> appropriate 'display', or something, I don't remember right now. So, I
> tried to run system without installing this, but I really need it for
> better performance. Any advices? I will try to install Ubuntu, maybe

Your graphics card is also supported by the free radeonhd driver. If you
don't need fancy 3D graphics and/or video acceleration, it's better than
the proprietary driver and realtime safe. Just ignore the message about
the restricted driver, install the xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd driver
with synaptic, edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with administrator rights
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
In
Section "Device"
eplace the Driver entry by
Driver		"radeonhd"

You should have something like this
Before :

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"ATI Technologies Inc ATI Default Card"
	Driver		"vesa"
	BusID		"PCI:5:0:0"
EndSection

After :

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"ATI Technologies Inc ATI Default Card"
	Driver		"radeonhd"
	BusID		"PCI:5:0:0"
EndSection

Reboot and you're done.